This document offers the OECD evaluation of Portugals environmental coverage functionality for 2011. It reveals that environmental guidelines were consolidated and reinforced because the final evaluate in 2001, yet that assembly the post-Kyoto objectives for decreasing greenhouse fuel emissions might be not easy. With power and weather guidelines being heavily comparable, the report points out that with lower than 50% of hydro potential at present being exploited, there's strength for additional improvement in that sector. It additionally describes the demanding situations relating to coastal region and marine administration. issues lined within the document include greening development, implementation of environmental regulations , foreign co-operation , weather swap, waste administration and the 3Rs (reduce, reuse, recycle), and nature and biodiversity. additional information regarding the Environmental functionality evaluation programme is offered on-line through www.oecd.org/env/countryreviews. Table of content material :Executive SummaryPART I. SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENTChapter 1. advancements because the 2001 Review-Main gains of financial and social improvement within the overview period-Key environmental pressures-Framework for environmental and sustainable development-Policy initiativesChapter 2. Greening Growth-Assessment and recommendations-1. the surroundings as a driving force for financial growth?-2. Environmental expenditure and financing-3. Environmentally comparable taxes-4. Tax expenses and subsidies-5. selling eco-innovation and environmentally-friendly products-6. increasing environmentally comparable markets and employmentChapter 3. Implementation of Environmental Policies-Assessment and recommendations-Strengthening the environmental coverage mix-Promoting environmental democracy-Progress in air, water, waste, nature and biodiversity managementChapter four. International Co-operation-Assessment and recommendations-1. Marine environment-2. exchange and environment-3. Bilateral and local co-operation-4. professional improvement assistancePART II. chosen ISSUESChapter 5. Energy and surroundings Integration-Assessment and recommendations-1. strength coverage framework-2. Key power trends-3. Environmental affects of the power sector-4. power efficiency-6. study and development-7. The nationwide Climate Change Programme-8. cost signalsChapter 6. Coastal area Management-Assessment and recommendations-1. features and pressures on coastal areas-2. coverage and institutional setting-3. functionality of coverage responsesReferences-Selected Environmental Data-Selected fiscal Data-Selected Social Data-Actions Taken at the 2001 OECD evaluate Recommendations-Abbreviations
Read Online or Download Oecd Environmental Performance Reviews, Portugal 2011 PDF
Similar environmental policy books
Emissions from cellular resources give a contribution considerably to pollution within the usa. Such assets contain vehicles and lightweight- and heavy-duty vans; diesel-powered cranes, bulldozers, and tractors; and kit reminiscent of lawnmowers that run on small gas engines. The position of country as opposed to federal executive in constructing mobile-source emissions criteria is a vital environmental administration factor.
Overlaying international threats similar to weather switch, inhabitants progress, and lack of biodiversity, in addition to nationwide, country, and native difficulties of environmental toxins, power use, and ordinary source use and conservation, Environmental coverage and Politics presents a complete evaluation of U. S. policy-making procedures, the legislative and administrative settings for coverage judgements, the function of curiosity teams and public opinion in environmental politics, and the general public guidelines that end result.
Hybrid vehicles, quick trains, energy-efficient gentle bulbs, sun panels, carbon offsets. .. overlook every thing you ever idea you knew approximately residing eco-friendly. The Conundrum is a mind-changing manifesto in regards to the setting, potency and the true route to sustainability. As Owen argues, we should always no longer be awaiting a few genius to invent our approach out of the power predicament we are in.
Activists, scientists and policymakers all over the world have lengthy argued that we have to locate sustainable and safe strategies to the world's power calls for. At factor for voters world wide is whether or not we're scientifically literate sufficient to appreciate the aptitude coverage offerings prior to us. knowing strength and effort coverage is a one-stop source for figuring out the complexities of strength coverage and the technological know-how at the back of the usage of power resources.
- East Asian Experience in Environmental Governance: Response in a Rapidly Changing Region
- State of the World 2014: Governing for Sustainability
- Green Economy Reader: Lectures in Ecological Economics and Sustainability
- Free to be Human: Intellectual Self-defence in an Age of Illusions
- Economic Models of Climate Change: A Critique
- Oecd Environmental Performance Reviews: Italy 2002 (Oecd Environmental Performance Reviews)
Extra info for Oecd Environmental Performance Reviews, Portugal 2011
Nonetheless, private environmental investment, ecoindustries and related employment have increased in recent years. Portugal needs to further promote eco-innovation and improve its workforce skills, with a view to enhancing productivity, international competitiveness, and the growth prospects of its economy. 2. GREENING GROWTH Assessment and recommendations Following a period of rapid economic expansion in the 1990s, Portugal’s economy grew modestly for much of the 2000s, and in 2008-09 entered a sharp recession as a consequence of the global economic downturn.
2. 2. The role of environmentally related fiscal measures in Portugal’s fiscal sustainability plan Portugal’s Stability and Growth Plan 2010-13 foresees: ● introducing a fiscal incentive for purchases of electric vehicles by businesses, while discouraging purchases of conventional fuel-powered vehicles, and the provision of electric vehicles as benefit-in-kind to employees; ● extending tax credits for the purchase of energy-efficient equipment; ● extending the excise duties on energy products to electricity, as required under EU legislation; ● revising the vehicle registration tax by annually reducing the CO2 emission categories by 5g/km, so as to maintain the revenue-raising ability of the tax and better link it to development of the car market; ● rationalisation of tax expenditure related to excise duties on energy products, linking fiscal benefits and exemptions to more rigorous environmental criteria; ● rationalisation of tax expenditure related to vehicle taxes, linking fiscal benefits and exemptions to more rigorous environmental criteria.
1. DEVELOPMENTS SINCE THE 2001 REVIEW 3. 5%, slightly higher than in the Euro area in 2009. Self-employment continues to account for a large share of total employment. 4. Excluding the Azores and Madeira. 5. The trend before 2004 should be treated with caution, as waste classification in Portugal was subject to changes following the requirements of the EC Regulation on waste statistics (2150/2002). 6. Uncontrolled dumping accounted for almost 75% of total municipal waste generation in 1995. 7. The Ministry’s activities related to spatial planning are co-ordinated by the Directorate-General for Spatial Planning and Urban Development (DGOTDU).