Posts in category: Feminist Theory
By Myra Marx Ferree
Controversy and Coalition is a finished and fascinating evaluate of the yankee women's circulate from the Nineteen Sixties to the Nineties. This 3rd variation is the single brief and hugely readable ebook at the vital advancements of the fresh women's flow. This variation contains a new advent through the authors that disguise the increase of world feminism.
By Amina Wadud
During this enticing learn, Dr Amina Wadud, an Afro-American Muslim herself, introduces the feminist stream in Islam and delves into its demanding situations, its textual foundations within the Qur'an and its achievements. starting along with her personal position within the attempt for higher justice for girls in Islam, Wadud is going on take on a couple of pertinent concerns, together with the kingdom of Muslim women's reports as a self-discipline in mainstream academia and the position of Muslim girls within the household area
By Michael R. Glass, Reuben Rose-Redwood
Theories of performativity have garnered substantial cognizance in the social sciences and arts over the last 20 years. even as, there has additionally been a starting to be acceptance that the social creation of house is key to assertions of political authority and the practices of daily life. even if, relatively little scholarship has explored the total implications that come up from the confluence of those streams of social and political inspiration. this is often the 1st book-length, edited assortment committed explicitly to showcasing geographical scholarship at the spatial politics of performativity. It bargains a well timed intervention in the box of serious human geography by way of exploring the performativity of political areas and the spatiality of performative politics. via a chain of geographical case reviews, the individuals to this quantity contemplate the ways that a performative notion of the "political" may possibly reshape our knowing of sovereignty, political subjectification, and the construction of social area. Marking the twentieth anniversary of the e-book of Judith Butler’s vintage, Bodies That Matter (1993), this edited quantity brings jointly quite a number modern geographical works that draw fascinating new connections among performativity, area, and politics.
By Deborah Jermyn, Susan Holmes
This publication reviews the connection among ladies, getting older and megastar. targeting an array of case stories and star/celebrity pictures, it goals to envision the robust, contradictory and infrequently celebratory ways that famous person tradition bargains a vital website for the modern and historic building of discourses on getting older femininities.
By Dorota M. Dutsch
As literature written in Latin has virtually no woman authors, we're depending on male writers for a few realizing of how girls might have spoken. Plautus (3rd to 2d century BCE) and Terence (2nd century BCE) regularly write specific linguistic good points into the traces spoken by means of their woman characters: endearments, gentle speech, and incoherent specialize in quite a few small difficulties. Dorota M. Dutsch describes the development of this female idiom and asks no matter if it may be regarded as proof of ways Roman ladies truly spoke.
Uploader unencumber Notes:
HQ PDF, comprises OCR & bookmarks
By Maha El Said, Lena Meari, Nicola Pratt
By Mary Wyer, Mary Barbercheck, Donna Cookmeyer, Hatice Ozturk, Marta Wayne
This reader offers an advent to the gendering of technology and the impression girls are making in laboratories world wide. The republished essays incorporated during this assortment are either own stories from ladies scientists and essays at the nature of technological know-how itself, overlaying such debatable concerns just like the under-representation of ladies in technology, reproductive expertise, sociobiology, evolutionary thought, and the thought of goal science.
• Anomaly of a girl in physics / Evelyn Fox Keller
• by no means intended to outlive, a Black woman's trip : an interview with Evelynn Hammonds / Aimee Sands
• Gender constructs and occupation dedication : the impact of peer tradition on girls in university / Margaret A. Eisenhart and Dorothy C. Holland
• Snow brown and the seven detergents : a metanarrative on technological know-how and the medical strategy / Banu Subramaniam
• Shoulders of giants / Dara Horn
• Nepotism and sexism in peer-review / Christine Wennerás and Agnes Wold
• 9 a long time, 9 girls, ten Nobel prizes : gender politics on the apex of technology / Hilary Rose
• Careers of guys and ladies scientists : gender transformations in profession attainments / Harriet Zuckerman
• intercourse, technology, and schooling / Janice legislation Trecker
• intercourse and dying within the rational international of safeguard intellectuals / Carol Cohn
• combined messages : women and men in ads in technology / Mary Barbercheck
• Gender and technological know-how : an replace / Evelyn Fox Keller
• technological know-how, evidence, and feminism / Ruth Hubbard
• clinical development of gender : case administration of intersexed babies / Suzanne J. Kessler
• Sociobiology, organic determinism, and human habit / Ruth Bleier
• equipped atmosphere : women's position, gendered area / Judy Wajcman
• Can there be a feminist technology? / Helen E. Longino
• Socially camouflaged applied sciences : the case of the electromechanical vibrator / Rachel Maines
• Is Primatology a feminist technological know-how? / Linda Marie Fedigan
• bare intercourse in exile : at the paradox of the "sex query" in feminism and in technology / Cynthia Kraus
• Premenstrual syndrome, paintings self-discipline, and anger / Emily Martin
• Engendering environmental pondering : a feminist research of the current problem / Ruth Perry
• among fathers and fetuses : the social building of male copy and the politics of fetal damage / Cynthia R. Daniels
• Feminist AI tasks and cyberfutures / Alison Adam
By W. H. Newton-Smith
Unequalled within the caliber of its world-renowned individuals, this spouse serves as either a path textual content and a reference ebook around the extensive spectrum of problems with difficulty to the philosophy of technological know-how.
By Andre Schiffrin
Ten years after the book of The company of Books, his groundbreaking critique of conglomeration within the booklet undefined, Andre Schiffrin turns his realization to the wider situation within the media. simply as corporatization and the lowest-common-denominator pursuit of the base line have had a parlous impact on publishing, media consolidation has contributed to the continued death of great journalism in newspapers, magazines, critical broadcast information, and on-line journalism. Schiffrin compares the media difficulty within the usa to the placement in Europe and around the globe, and he demonstrates how the yankee company version has prolonged its succeed in. yet he additionally describes and considers a number replacement rules culled from many nations that, if pursued, may possibly aid to avoid wasting journalism and the media within the US. this can be a superlative essay that may make every person heavily attracted to the media and publishing re-evaluate.
By Daniel I. O'Neill
Many sleek conservatives and feminists hint the roots in their ideologies, respectively, to Edmund Burke (1729-1797) and Mary Wollstonecraft (1759-1797), and a formal figuring out of those thinkers is consequently very important as a framework for political debates this day. in accordance with Daniel O'Neill, Burke is misconstrued if seen as more often than not supplying a caution in regards to the hazards of trying to flip utopian visions into political truth, whereas Wollstonecraft is much greater than only a proponent of extending the general public sphere rights of guy to incorporate ladies. relatively, on the middle in their transformations lies a dispute over democracy as a strength tending towards savagery (Burke) or towards civilization (Wollstonecraft). Their debate over the which means of the French Revolution is where the place those alterations are elucidated, however the genuine key to knowing what this debate is set is its relation to the highbrow culture of the Scottish Enlightenment, whose language of politics supplied the discursive framework inside of and opposed to which Burke and Wollstonecraft constructed their very own detailed rules approximately what was once serious about the civilizing method.