By Pete Goodliffe
If you're obsessed with programming and wish to get well at it, you've come to the best resource. Code Craft writer Pete Goodliffe provides a set of worthwhile strategies and ways to the artwork and craft of programming that may support increase your occupation and your well-being.
Goodliffe offers sound suggestion that he's realized in 15 years programming. The book's standalone chapters span the diversity of a software program developer's life—dealing with code, studying the exchange, and enhancing performance—with no language or bias. no matter if you're a professional developer, a neophyte specialist, or a hobbyist, you'll locate beneficial counsel in 5 self reliant categories:
- Code-level recommendations for crafting traces of code, trying out, debugging, and dealing with complexity
- Practices, ways, and attitudes: preserve it uncomplicated, collaborate good, reuse, and create malleable code
- strategies for studying successfully, behaving ethically, discovering, and warding off stagnation
- useful how one can whole issues: use the precise instruments, be aware of what "done" seems like, and search aid from colleagues
- conduct for operating good with others, and pursuing improvement as a social job
Read or Download Becoming a Better Programmer: A Handbook for People Who Care About Code PDF
Similar programming books
Scala extensive is a distinct new booklet designed that will help you combine Scala successfully into your improvement approach. by way of offering the rising top practices and designs from the Scala group, it publications you thru dozens of robust thoughts instance by means of example.
concerning the Book
Scala is a strong JVM language that blends the useful and OO programming versions. You'll don't have any hassle getting introductions to Scala in books or on-line, yet it's demanding to discover nice examples and insights from skilled practitioners. You'll locate them in Scala in Depth.
There's little heavy-handed thought here—just dozens of crisp, sensible concepts for coding in Scala. Written for readers who recognize Java, Scala, or one other OO language.
Purchase comprises unfastened PDF, ePub, and Kindle eBooks downloadable at manning. com.
What's inside of* Concise, expressive, and readable code kind
* how you can combine Scala into your current Java initiatives
* Scala's 2. eight. zero collections API
* how one can use actors for concurrent programming
* gaining knowledge of the Scala sort method
* Scala's OO features—type member inheritance, a number of inheritance, and composition
* useful suggestions and patterns—immutability, applicative functors, and monads
desk of Contents<ol>* Scala—a combined language
* The middle ideas
* Modicum of style—coding conventions
* using item orientation
* utilizing implicits to put in writing expressive code
* the sort method
* utilizing implicits and kinds jointly
* utilizing the correct assortment
* Integrating Scala with Java
* styles in sensible programming
Fullyyt rewritten for Apple’s quick programming language, this up to date cookbook is helping you conquer the vexing concerns you’re more likely to face whilst growing apps for iOS devices.
You’ll locate 1000's of latest and revised recipes for utilizing the iOS eight SDK, together with options for operating with overall healthiness facts and HomeKit add-ons, improving and animating images, storing and preserving info, sending and receiving notifications, and handling documents and folders between them. every one recipe comprises pattern code on GitHub so that you can use without delay.
All sleek industries depend upon huge and intricate software program structures. with the intention to build such huge structures in a scientific demeanour, the point of interest of the advance methodologies has switched within the final 20 years from sensible to structural matters. Formal tools were utilized effectively to the verification of medium-sized courses in protocol and layout.
- Decompiling Android
- AppleScript: The Definitive Guide (2nd Edition)
- Learning HTML5 Game Programming: A Hands-on Guide to Building Online Games Using Canvas, SVG, and WebGL
- Real-Time Analytics: Techniques to Analyze and Visualize Streaming Data
- C# 5.0 All-in-One For Dummies
- C# Quick Syntax Reference
Additional resources for Becoming a Better Programmer: A Handbook for People Who Care About Code
2. If you temporarily remove code that is not currently required (but may be needed in the future) should you leave it commented out (so it is still visible) in the source tree, or just delete it completely (as it will be stored in the revision history)? Why? 3. Is the removal of legacy (unused) features always the right thing to do? Is there any inherent risk in removing sections of code? How can you determine the right time to remove unused features? 4. What percentage of your current project’s codebase do you think is unnecessary?
Each line of code costs a little. The more code you write, the higher the cost. The longer a line of code lives, the higher its cost. Clearly, unnecessary code needs to meet a timely demise before it bankrupts us. • More code means there is more to read and more to understand—it makes our programs harder to comprehend. Unnecessary code can mask the purpose of a function, or hide small but important differences in otherwise similar code. • The more code there is, the more work is required to make modifications—the program is harder to modify.
KEY ➤ It is safe to remove code that you might need in the future. You can always get it back from version control. There is a counter argument to that simple (and true) view, though: how will a new recruit know that the removed code is available in version control if they don’t know 1. You might even already have them—look at the warning options provided by your compiler. 32 | Chapter 4: Improve Code by Removing It that it existed in the first place? What’s going to stop them writing their own (buggy or incomplete) version instead?