By Fa Hien, James Legge
A recording of the chinese language Buddhist monk's travels to carry Buddhist scriptures to India and Sri Lanka among 399 and 412AD.
Read or Download A Record of Buddhistic Kingdoms PDF
Best asia books
Walter Medhust's 1872 booklet lines his own impressions of nineteenth-century chinese language society. the writer is decided to offer an image of the rustic and its population that's sensible and freed from the drained clich? s frequently present in modern Western debts of the rustic. Medhurst engages with a large spectrum of chinese language traditions and behavior: the features of ads and the way chinese language newspapers are run; describing opium-smoking and chinese language burial customs; delving into the connection among women and men; and sampling the delights of chinese language food.
In humiliating conditions, Indonesia's fourth president, Abdurrahman Wahid used to be pressured from workplace in August 2001 after lower than years within the activity. Wahid, nearly blind and bodily susceptible after a few strokes, was once commonly misunderstood within the West, even being visible as a slightly comical determine.
This booklet provides narratives, views and rules at the Arctic and brings to fore the recommendations of 5 Asian international locations - China, India, Japan, Republic of Korea and Singapore who have been granted the prestige of everlasting Observers within the Arctic Council in 2013. The ebook additionally captures Arctic nations’ reactions to Asian techniques, and their expectancies from those nations.
This quantity examines the alterations occurring inside graduate schooling within the Asia Pacific zone. a set of essays through unusual students from 8 Asia Pacific countries hyperlinks profound alterations taking place within the economies and societies of the quarter to the numerous alterations happening inside of better schooling.
- Gypsies in Central Asia and the Caucasus
- The Silk Road (2nd Edition) (Insight Guides, Volume 32)
- Asia Towards Deeper Mutual Understanding: Proceedings of New Asian Forum, ISEF Program 2010-2011
- Colonial Cambodia's 'Bad Frenchmen': The rise of French rule and the life of Thomas Caraman, 1840-87
- Recession and Its Aftermath: Adjustments in the United States, Australia, and the Emerging Asia
Additional resources for A Record of Buddhistic Kingdoms
The chuh being pronounced, probably, in Fa-hien's time as tuk. How the earliest name for India, Shin-tuk or duk=Scinde, came to be changed into Thien-tuk, it would take too much space to explain. }).  Sraman may in English take the place of Sramana (Pali, Samana; in Chinese, Shaman), the name for Buddhist monks, as those who have separated themselves from (left) their families, and quieted their hearts from all intrusion of desire and lust. " E. , pp. 130, 131.  Tartar or Mongolian.  Woo-e has not been identified.
First and last, this was done three times, and then the image was completed, eighty cubits in height, and eight cubits at the base from knee to knee of the crossed legs. On fast-days it emits an effulgent light. The kings of the (surrounding) countries vie with one another in presenting offerings to it.  NOTES  Eitel and others identify this with Darada, the country of the ancient Dardae, the region near Dardus; lat. , lon. 73d 54s E. See E. H. p. 30. I am myself in more than doubt on the point.
417.  This was the second summer since the pilgrims left Ch'ang-gan. D. 400.  T'un-hwang (lat. ; lon. ) is still the name of one of the two districts constituting the department of Gan-se, the most western of the prefectures of Kan-suh; beyond the termination of the Great Wall.  Who this envoy was, and where he was going, we do not know. The text will not admit of any other translation.  Le Hao was a native of Lung-se, a man of learning, able and kindly in his government. He was appointed governor or prefect of T'un-hwang by the king of "the northern Leang," in 400; and there he sustained himself, becoming by and by "duke of western Leang," till he died in 417.